Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mass in Perpignan


New Years Resolutions, I have a few .. one is to stop throwing my eyes up to heaven, which is a seriously annoying habit I've picked up, especially since I've come to France. With my 6 year old daughter punctuating every sentence with an exaggerated adolescent eye roll, it's time to stop!!
Another one is to inject a bit of culture into my life; cinema, exhibitions,books, theatre, yadda yadda yadda dahling .. it's all on our doorstep here and sometimes for free. With this in mind, I headed off last Sunday to the Cathedral in Perpignan to hear a rendition of Benjamin Britten’s “Ceremony of Carols” by a local choral company from Banyuls. Off I marched last Sunday frosty night and with all the philistines in my house cuddling in on the couch to watch The Simpsons, I knew I was going to enjoy a fabulous evening of highbrow music.
The cosy philistines had their last laugh. The carols weren't on. Mass was. And, as I had positioned myself at the top of the church in order to hear the acoustics better ( I take my New Years Resolutions very seriously!!), there was no way out. I had to sit through an hour and a half of being lectured to by a man in cloth. DIFFICILE.
For us, living in France , it's time to make a decision whether to go down the Catholicism road or not. Our kids go to public schools which are non denominational. If they want to be good little Catholics, they have to go to Sunday school and do extra studies for their Communion and Confirmation etc. If we were living in Ireland, to be honest, we'd probably just go with the flow and fall in with the Catholic school curriculum but here it's decision time. DIFFICILE?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...